Friday, July 30, 2010

Art & Fear


I’m re-reading Art & Fear: Observations on the Perils and Rewards of Artmaking by David Bayles and Ted Orlando. It’s one of those books that I’m convinced was written just for me.
Examples:
“Your desire to make art – beautiful or meaningful or emotive art – is integral to your sense of who you are. Life and Art, once intertwined, can quickly become inseparable; at age ninety Frank Lloyd Wright was still designing, Imogen Cunningham still photographing, Stravinsky still composing, Picasso still painting. But if making art gives substance to your sense of self, the corresponding fear is that you’re not up to the task. . .making art precipitates self-doubt, stirring deep waters that lay between what you know you should be and what you fear you might be.”
And:
“Operating manual for not quitting: Make friends with others who make art, and share your in-progress work with each other and frequently.”
Finally:
To paraphrase a story from the book, a young pianist began studies with a Master. After a few months’ practice, he lamented to his teacher, “But I can hear the music so much better in my head than I can get it out of my fingers.” To which the Master replied, “What makes you think that ever changes.” The lesson – vision is always ahead of execution – and should be.

Good book, good advice - OK, back to the studio, fearlessly (I wish).